16th January 2016
Officially the most depressing day of the year!
You may have said good-bye to your New Years Resolutions by now? Decided that the diet has proved impossible, and you are waiting til Spring. Found it too hard to stop smoking. Run out of energy to go to the gym. Waiting desperately for the next pay day, as memories of the last payday feels aons ago. Feeling fed up with the dark mornings and early sunsets. And wondering when your motivation is going to return. Surrounded by news headlines of American Presidents, and NHS crisis management – Brexit continuing to loom high – reading about celebrity deaths and wondering when some good news is going to arrive!
What is Blue Monday?
If you are ‘glass is half full’ – then you will wonder where this idea of Blue Monday appeared from!
But scientists have released the formula that explains :-
where W=weather, D=debt, d=monthly salary, T=time since Christmas, Q=time since failing our new year’s resolutions, M=low motivational levels, and Na=the feeling of a need to take action.
So if the lack of sun, the look of your credit cards / overdraft being bigger than your monthly income, and it seems a long time since pulling Crackers and telling bad jokes – it could be the impact of Blue Monday!!
Smile – it doesn’t have to be this way
Think back to why you wanted those resolutions… Why did you want to stop smoking? Was it so you would feel healthier, and have more money in your pocket? Why did you want to lose weight? Was it so you could feel good, and look good on your summer hols? Why were you going to increase opportunities for fun? Was it so you could laugh more and feel better?
Instructions to improve Blue Monday 2017
- Get a bit of paper
- Write on the top – It is January 2017 but if I zoom forward to the end of the year – I am feeling fantastic because I have….
- Write a list of things you want to achieve this year. Stopped Smoking… Lost 2 stone… Changed Jobs… Made new friends … Taken up a hobby … Beaten a phobia … Managed my Anxiety and Depression … What is on your list??
- Take a 15 minute coffee break and phone a friend, google holiday destinations, go for a brisk walk…
- Spend some time with people you love, like or make you laugh – or get a date in the diary!
- Remember that tomorrow is another day – and Blue Monday is just another gimick! It doesn’t have to be true!
- 20th March 2017 is the Happiest Day of the Year…. Not long to go 🙂
Call me if hypnotherapy, BWRT, Coaching or Counselling can help change the outcome of your year!
If you enjoyed this blog – sign up to my newsletter on the website for updates, offers and latest news 🙂